Client: Ringway – a subsidiary of Eurovia and Vinci plc, Ringway provides contract highway services to a range of local authorities to deliver maintenance and improvement services through traditional procurement routes and public-private partnerships
Role: Commercial Director – development board project manager; interim commercial director
Remit: The initial engagement was working directly for the Managing Director to oversee the mobilisation of six framework contracts together with a full review of commercial systems and processes. On completion of the commercial review, there followed a further 2-year engagement as Commercial Director to implement the findings and develop a central commercial and business systems team for the business. In addition I undertook all the normal responsibilities of a Commercial Director, with personal accountability for cost/value reporting, risk and opportunity, contract issues and supply chain agreements, and bidding process for new work
- Strong project management skills to balance a wide range of requirements and drivers
- Embedded commercial acumen
- Strong risk & opportunity techniques and disciplines
- Attention to detail when required while still able to review and manage the bigger picture
- Driving collaboration between business units and enabling improvement solutions to align people, processes and systems
- Management skills enabling me to lead a team of senior professionals
- Recruitment and mentoring of a senior management team
- Led commercial activities for the UK portfolio of term contracts
- Drove two PFI’s (£260M turnover per annum)
- Built the management team
- Instilled fundamentals of commercial management (risk management and project management disciplines) within the team
- Enabled the Group Financial Director to make best use of the SAP ERP system on a range of contracts with different client payment mechanisms
- Introduced and implemented processes to improve working practices between internal businesses
“Nick is a highly capable project manager and commercial manager. He was entirely up to date with the technical and managerial side of the role and is a very good communicator who goes out of his way to make regular contact with all stakeholders.
“He is a self-starter and thinks his way through every project he undertakes with very little need for supervision. He is well organised and uses all current processes, systems and software.
“Nick always focused on delivering to time and budget by monitoring all costs daily and using clear reports at governance meetings to demonstrate this. He clearly identified and managed service and project risks, mitigating them and holding reserve plans to deal with any exit strategy.
“Nick is totally trustworthy. He sought guidance on any matters that fell outside his role and remit, and always more than met the requirements of working within our organisation’s culture and values. He brought many new ideas and processes to his role and developed new ways of working. He also recruited many new staff and trained them to work within the same ethos.”
Chris Connor, Managing Director, Ringway